I wanted to share sooner but we'd have had all sorts of scary spotting in the first trimester that I got scared about sharing too early...
This roller coaster ride started the week before we left for Hawaii with me going into the ER with some major cramping and dropping clots which freaked me out. I had just gotten a positive pregnancy test a few days before and had no idea when my LMP was or anything! I had no idea how far along I could be... I thought for sure it was a miscarriage. The ultrasound tech in the ER did a scan and said there was a 6 week old fetus with no heartbeat. The ER doc said miscarriage - said my HCG levels were low and that it looked to him like a miscarriage... the u/s tech said that I should see my OBGYN because it could be that it is just too early to see anything... the ER doc called my OBGYN and I went to see her the next day. (It was a Sunday when I went to the ER...)
Went to see Dr. K. She did a scan and didn't see a heartbeat but thought that the u/s tech was correct and it may just be early. She asked me to do HCG blood tests for the next few days so she could monitor. I told her I was leaving for Hawaii and could not get out of it. We agreed that we would wait it out for a few weeks while I was gone. If it was a miscarriage, we'd deal with it when I got back (if I didn't miscarry naturally). If it was a viable pregnancy, then she would see something in the ultrasound we'd planned when I returned... While we were in Hawaii, Dr. K's assistant called to tell me my HCG levels were going up nicely and that the'd see me when I got back for my ultrasound. While in Hawaii, I had sore boobs and the nausea started... I also had a lot of brown discaharge which had me freaked out but the doc said not to worry. In LA, more extreme nausea and major exhaustion. Went to the doc when I got back and according to her measurements (since I could only guesstimate when I thought my last LMP was), I was about 8 weeks 5 day along.
Now for the scary part... I'm 37 years old which makes me "high risk" since I'm of "advanced maternal age" (they keep reminding me of that!). My doc sent me to see a Genetic Counselor at stanford... I was scheduled for a Nuchal Translucency test (ultrasound and bloodwork) with the option to do more testing if the screenings show any red flags... Well...
I went for my Nuchal Translucency ultrasound yesterday. The baby looked good - but the baby had a larger than normal NT space which raised a red flag. Normal NT space is 1-2mm... even 3mm... my baby's is 4mm which can be an early indicator of Downs or heart defects. My chemical levels looked good so the genetic counselor ruled out Trisomy 18 or 13. She suggested we have a CVS test done if we wanted a more diagnostic idea of what is going on with the baby. They actually had to fit me in the next day (today) because the baby is measuring 13 weeks which is the very end of the window to get the CVS. The doctors at Stanford were really great. They were terrific about explaining everything to Stan (who had not been at the genetic counseling sessions I'd been to). When it came time to do the CVS - they had to insert the needle through my belly (actually, my c-section scars). Aside from a little cramping, I'm feeling ok. Stan actually was mesmerized watching them scrape for tissue samples through the ultrasound while watching the baby's head boppin' around to the pumping motion. I have 2 weeks until they have the results of the CVS. I'm a bit freaked out but praying that the screening tests prove that the baby is healthy.
We haven't shared the news with our family or friends yet. We will probably do so soon. We want to tell the kids first... then our parents... then we'll share with our friends and family. Of course, I had to tell you guys, first! :) I can't wait to start celebrating this baby publicly. I feel like all of these scary tests has put a cloud over his/her pending arrival. I just want to share with everyone now... I figure we could use the love and support either way, right?
In the meantime... here is the baby (from yesterday's ultrasound... I haven't scanned today's ultrasound pic yet...)
Keep those healthy baby thoughts coming! I'll keep you posted for sure on our progress...
No comments:
Post a Comment