I got some sad news this morning...
Remember my friend (and Alpha Phi sister), Courtney? Sadly, she lost her battle with Leukemia at 6:30 this morning... I'm still trying to get my head around what has happened and that my dear friend is gone... as I sit here, I have tears welling up in my eyes... my heart is heavy... I'm hoping that typing this will be therapeutic for me.
I pray that wherever Courtney is now, she's happy and feeling no pain. I hope that she has been reunited with people she loves. I can't remember if Shaka was sick or if he passed away, but he did leave this world, they could be reunited. How comforting that thought is... if he is still around, maybe she went ahead to light the way... another comforting thought. Yes, I'm romanticizing again... but those thought are just so much more comforting. I'm sure Court is up in heaven - straightening everyone out and telling them how it is. That's my girl...
It's weird... this morning, I woke up shortly before 6:30am with a monster headache and felt really down. The girls were in bed with me and they were waking, too. Normally, I don't let them watch TV on schoolday mornings but I just felt crappy. I woke Stan up and asked him if he could take the kids to school. I just didn't have it in me... I wonder if somehow Courtney's passing has stirred something in my universe... *sigh* Maria had something similar happen this morning...
On my calendar, I got a "reminder" from Outlook that said that I was supposed to have lunch at 12:30 with Courtney, Maria and Verna... I went into my calendar and wrote "cancelled - will all hang out at J-Mae's party" --- guess that wasn't meant to be... :( Baby Jayda Maelani's party will certainly be bittersweet. Vern told me that after she took Court to her appointment on Tuesday, they hung out running errands for the baby's party. She loved her Baby J-Mae, their little unexpected visitor on their Aus trip last year... :) Court and Verna actually were in Aus about a month ago... I got to enjoy her pictures from their trip when we did lunch in October - looked like the girls had fun. Kaili and Kia got to hang out with us at that lunch (we went to Claim Jumpers - even got to see the "red hat society" enjoying their lunch - my girls LOVED that!)...
For those of you reading... would you say a prayer for her and for her family and friends left behind? We're all heartbroken. Verna said that she may need me to do the programs for the funeral/memorial. It is my honor, She also mentioned that she may need help from me and Maria to pack up her apartment. Again, something I will do if they need me. *sigh* Court had been doing so well then had a relapse a few weeks ago. She had just gone back to work after being gone for a year... She had taken a few trips abroad (most recently Australia and a cruise with her mom). About 2 weeks ago, she started feeling ill and found the Leukemia was trying to come back. She went into an intense chemotherapy regimen for a few weeks and had been home for about a week. Last night, she felt sick and was rushed by ambulance to the hospital... and she passed away this morning. *sigh* She was an amazing woman. We'd been in each others lives since high school so I've got all these memories running through my head. I will miss her so much.
I'm thinking... wondering what to say to Sheryle and Guy when I see them. I wish there was more I could do to help them. I wish I could let the womenof Eta Theta know what is going on and help them. They loved her so much. As much as we want to respect Court's wishes and not make a big spectacle of her passing, I do believe that we should at least let people know so that they can pay their respects and show their love for such a special woman. I called Char today. I had meant to come over to see Ashlyn earlier but things were crazy with us (as you know!). Losing Courtney and not spending the time I wanted to spend with her in person made me realize how hard it is when you put things off... I was sick then the kids were sick. I didn't want to compromise Court when her immunity was low. I know it was right to not compromise her but at the same time, seeing her would've been so comforting for both of us... *sigh*
Hug the people you love today...
*sending you guys hugs, too*
annie
No comments:
Post a Comment