I admit... this is the very first time in a very long time that I haven't wanted to kick the outgoing year to the curb. 2011 was a roller coaster ride with unexpected drops and turns and sometimes had moments that made me want to puke... but as it is with the "good" roller coaster rides, it was also fun, exhilarating, and left me feeling like I could take the ride again. :)
That being said... I've been keeping super busy with the kiddos and this has kept me off the computer to post extensive updates. I have about 20 entries started that have yet to be completed. Maybe I'll dedicate some time in the next week or so updating those as well...
Life at Casita de Kwong has been a busy one! I think the name of the game this past year was ch-ch-ch-changes... Stan made a big career move. Ryan transitioned from elementary public school to middle school at a private Catholic school. Kiana experienced disappointment for the first time in not achieving one of her goals and learned how to find happiness in being open-minded and flexible. Kaili had a fabulous year and learned how to be gracious. Melody enjoyed her first year of toddlerhood and is becoming a "big girl." Me? Where to start! Managing the Circus has been my greatest frustration but it has also brought me the greatest joy.
STAN-IMAL
Stan experienced the biggest change of his career thus far in August... He left Logitech after almost 7 years... I know, crazy right? He ended up finding a wonderful opportunity at Corsair Memory working with a terrific team of hardworking visionaries in the gaming industry. In his first few weeks with the company, he launched 7 retail products and has found great success... The cost of this success has been a big one with our family as he is gone 10-12 hours a day at work and is starting to travel again. The kids miss having their dad volunteering at school and will definitely miss him during baseball and softball season when he no longer is managing or acting as head coach. Most importantly, they miss his cooking... haha! He's not home during lunch to start dinners and is home too late to prepare meals for the next day. (I've had to take over after not stepping foot in the kitchen for almost a decade... scary!) Despite being absent from the home, we feel so fortunate that Stan has found a career that he enjoys and we're so proud of him for taking this opportunity to put himself first. We've enjoyed the flexibility that his previous job afforded us but absolutely support him in achieving his goals. What a terrific role model he is for the kids - at this time in their lives, they understand that hard work is the key to getting what you want and apply the same ethic to school and extra-curricular activities.
Prior to making the move to Corsair, Stan kept busy being super-dad... In addition to working full-time, he coached Ry's baseball team (Minor Tigers), managed/coached Kaili's softball team (Sweet Sluggers), served on Eastin's School Site Council and became the "technology guy" (orchestrating cameras and projectors for 4th & 5th grades), attended PTC meetings on behalf of both of us, and was super volunteer as he attended field trips and classroom parties... He also used to come home at lunch to start dinner! So you can see this change is huge for us.
When Stan does get some down time, you can find him religiously supporting the Giants, Niners and Warriors... and yes, he's still a gamer --- hey! it's work, right? Of course, any opportunity he can find to spend time with the kiddos, he takes... :)
BIG RY GUY
Much like Dad, Ry went through many changes over the past year. 5th grade had a wobbly start when Ry's teacher went out on disability just a few weeks into the school year. Fortunately, his class was placed in the capable hands of Ms. Leung. She took special interest in Ry and we watched him improve his classwork and homework. Upon graduating from Eastin, he did not attend Alvarado Middle School as his buddies did. We (Ry, Stan and I) decided together that going to Our Lady of the Rosary would be a better fit. Ry is thriving and really enjoying school. Ry is getting good grades, he's learning how to be organized and his self-confidence is growing. It was definitely a good move for him.
KIA DIVA
Kia is still the diva with the big heart. She suffered her first disappointment this year when she didn't make 4th/5th Color Guard. (According to Coach, there were over 100 4th/5th grade girls competing for 30 spots - that's nuts!) She has been keeping busy with Monarch Mascots - a program where 4th and 5th graders get to know the special needs kids at the school. They do lunch and hang out, and learn about opening their hearts while getting to know new friends. :) She can't wait to start dance classes again in January. She's really good, has a lot of energy and terrific musicality! She's still our Little Miss Smarty Pants! Her grades are terrific (4's and 5's) and her test scores, through the roof! Go Kia Go!
KK
Busy girl! Aside from studying hard in 3rd grade, Kaili has been participating in 2nd/3rd grade Color Guard, was a dedicated member of the Sweet Sluggers softball team (and the UCGSA Peanut All-Stars for the 3rd year in a row!), and kept socially active with playdates galore. When she's not keeping busy with her activities, you will find her either cooking in the kitchen or working on her latest masterpiece. She's quite the artist!
MELLIE-DEE
Mel is the most active little girl! She's bright, bubbly and funny. She's truly a treat to be around. We've been told on many an occasion that she's a tall girl. (Finally, one of our kids got the "regal" genes and isn't vertically challenged! :) She loves to sing, dance, play... and pretend she's a mommy, cook or truck driver. She loves drawing, painting, PlayDoh, dolls, Barbies, and getting into whatever her older sibs are. She loves Pocoyo, Caillou, Peppa Pig, and the Fresh Beat Band. :)
as for ME (Annie)...
I went back to work for a few months mid-year. I went back to Acclarent, this time working as the Girl Friday in the Training group. My focus was everything related to new hires. :) I worked alongside Professional Education (Training Group), Human Resources and Sales. The job was not too strictly designed when I started so I made it my own. I miss my pals there but we found that with how busy the kids were and with the uncertainty of my contract because of budget cuts, Stan & I agreed that I should stay home full-time again. I was becoming so overprogrammed and the kids were just getting busier and busier. It's not all work and no play... I still go to concerts and stage productions pretty regularly, go out with my Mom-tourage every few weeks and do spend time online keeping updated with my friends. :) I will be focused in 2012 in getting a better handle on our family time management, becoming more proficient with our finances (I suck badly in this department) and becoming healthier mentally and physically.
Here's to a terrific new year for us all... and hope anyone out there reading this has a terrific 2012 as well!
BIG RY GUY
Much like Dad, Ry went through many changes over the past year. 5th grade had a wobbly start when Ry's teacher went out on disability just a few weeks into the school year. Fortunately, his class was placed in the capable hands of Ms. Leung. She took special interest in Ry and we watched him improve his classwork and homework. Upon graduating from Eastin, he did not attend Alvarado Middle School as his buddies did. We (Ry, Stan and I) decided together that going to Our Lady of the Rosary would be a better fit. Ry is thriving and really enjoying school. Ry is getting good grades, he's learning how to be organized and his self-confidence is growing. It was definitely a good move for him.
KIA DIVA
Kia is still the diva with the big heart. She suffered her first disappointment this year when she didn't make 4th/5th Color Guard. (According to Coach, there were over 100 4th/5th grade girls competing for 30 spots - that's nuts!) She has been keeping busy with Monarch Mascots - a program where 4th and 5th graders get to know the special needs kids at the school. They do lunch and hang out, and learn about opening their hearts while getting to know new friends. :) She can't wait to start dance classes again in January. She's really good, has a lot of energy and terrific musicality! She's still our Little Miss Smarty Pants! Her grades are terrific (4's and 5's) and her test scores, through the roof! Go Kia Go!
KK
Busy girl! Aside from studying hard in 3rd grade, Kaili has been participating in 2nd/3rd grade Color Guard, was a dedicated member of the Sweet Sluggers softball team (and the UCGSA Peanut All-Stars for the 3rd year in a row!), and kept socially active with playdates galore. When she's not keeping busy with her activities, you will find her either cooking in the kitchen or working on her latest masterpiece. She's quite the artist!
MELLIE-DEE
Mel is the most active little girl! She's bright, bubbly and funny. She's truly a treat to be around. We've been told on many an occasion that she's a tall girl. (Finally, one of our kids got the "regal" genes and isn't vertically challenged! :) She loves to sing, dance, play... and pretend she's a mommy, cook or truck driver. She loves drawing, painting, PlayDoh, dolls, Barbies, and getting into whatever her older sibs are. She loves Pocoyo, Caillou, Peppa Pig, and the Fresh Beat Band. :)
as for ME (Annie)...
I went back to work for a few months mid-year. I went back to Acclarent, this time working as the Girl Friday in the Training group. My focus was everything related to new hires. :) I worked alongside Professional Education (Training Group), Human Resources and Sales. The job was not too strictly designed when I started so I made it my own. I miss my pals there but we found that with how busy the kids were and with the uncertainty of my contract because of budget cuts, Stan & I agreed that I should stay home full-time again. I was becoming so overprogrammed and the kids were just getting busier and busier. It's not all work and no play... I still go to concerts and stage productions pretty regularly, go out with my Mom-tourage every few weeks and do spend time online keeping updated with my friends. :) I will be focused in 2012 in getting a better handle on our family time management, becoming more proficient with our finances (I suck badly in this department) and becoming healthier mentally and physically.
Here's to a terrific new year for us all... and hope anyone out there reading this has a terrific 2012 as well!
IN A NUTSHELL...
Guess I should fill you in on some of the highlights from the past year...
- We hit Tahoe twice with our travel pals, the Reyes' and the Armstrongs.
- We cruised to Mexico for the first time over Spring Break with Papa & Mama.
- Welcomed 3 new baby girl cousins into the family as well as a slue of brand new baby friends to love...
- Ry and Kaili enjoyed baseball/softball seasons
- Kiana and Kaili completed their first year of color guard, and Ry participated in Curves.
- Kaili (and the co-Catechist for her class, Mommy) celebrated First Communion.
- We hit shows like they were going out of style - Duran Duran, Rick Springfield, New Kids on the Block, gLee, The Wiggles, Altar Boyz, Rock of Ages, etc. (and attempted Big Time Rush, which turned out to be a big time debacle!)
- Had the house painted (in and out) - stressful but fun!
- and of course, the biggest event of 2011 --- the "Oh-heck-to-the-No! Stan's turning the big 4-0!" celebration where we lit up the night with our pals at Fire Pixie.
If time permits, I'll finish editing those blog entries that I'd started for these events... :)
In the meantime, stay tuned for updates! :)
Much love...
- annie
No comments:
Post a Comment